Re: Drum Machine w/ Bass?

Depends on what you call a "drum machine."  I agree with Matt...
you're probably not going to get something that's not cheap sounding
out of a dedicated drum machine like a TR-909 or Dr. Rhythm...
however, what's wrong with cheap sounding?  I've heard Matt make
great music with things audience members brought him for FREE.  Yeah
that's right Matt... I SAW IT!

However, there are things called "grooveboxes" that are basically
sequencers with pattern based interfaces, like a 808 that do a decent
job.  I had a Roland 307 and it was pretty good all around for the
money.  It can be had pretty cheap on ebay these days.

However, if you have the ability and money to go software, I say do
it.  The sound quality that can be had is amazing and your interface
is a billion times better than any dedicated drum machine or
groovebox I've ever used.  The possibilities are vast though...  if
you've not used computers before you might want to pick up a copy of
Computer Music.  It comes with a nice free DVD full of freeware,
demos and tutorials.  You can basically get started with the price of
an issue... a computer and an audio interface.  I always recommend
finding a copy of the now discontinued Native Instruments Electronic
Instruments 2.  Comes a set of plug ins that more or less cover the
major bases, you'd just need a host (Like Live, Cubase, Logic,
Digital Performer...)

Mark