Re: Rogues' Gallery?...

While back in '05 only the dedicated computer weirdos used a laptop,
nowadays everybody and his brother has one.
Apart from that, there's a whole new sweep of stompbox loopers out by Boss
(RC-20/XL, RC-2, RC-50) and Digitech (the Digitech Jamman with its
somewhat confusing name).

I'm still thinking about including the Repeater OS update in my big
hardware rig, but apart from that it's also laptop for me. (more
specifically: Toshiba 2100 Sattelite Pro, Presonus Firebox, Behringer
BCR2000, Behringer FCB1010, Behringer DI20, beyerdynamic headset mic, Sony
earplugs, borrowed guitar and keyboard (thanks, Bill!)

Please find included a short text I wrote on the impression of the
y2k6loopfest, although it's not proofread yet...

               Rainer

This article is about the gear setup people use when playing something
like…well, the Y2K6 International Live Looping Festival Santa Cruz/CA
(www.y2k6loopfest.com, in case somebody hasn’t noticed). This article does
not claim to have any statistical relevance – mainly because I was out
cold during one day of the main festival and attended the kyberjam on the
second. But here we go:

1.      Nice Rack:
These are the people with a big 19’’ equipment rack, which is usually
complemented by a choice of foot controllers. Lots of carrying, relatively
long setup time, great fun!
This may be combined with one or several instrument (guitar) amplifiers
(combos or really big ones), and even with some foot pedals.
Great examples include Ted Killian, Bill Walker and Mir-O.

2.      Pedal Board Rider:
Lots of pedals (and sometimes not-pedal stuff, like handheld devices) are
mounted on a big board. One cable goes from the guitar, bass or similar
instrument into this board, another one (or a pair) goes out to FOH or to
an instrument amp.
These are usually slightly lighter than the big racks and much quicker to
setup, simply because there are so few connections to make.
Great examples: Ryussei Hattori, Mando-Man (seems to be a Japanese
phenomenon).

3.      Laptop Nerd:
A laptop, and some other stuff. It makes sense to sub-divide that group
into two different sub-groups:
For one, there are the pure setups. There is the laptop, there are some
MMI elements (foot controller, faderbox), and there is an audio/MIDI
interface. But there are no external effect boxes and no external
electronic instruments.
More often however you’ll find group two: hybrid setup where the
laptop+MMI is complemented with one or several “outlaptop” devices. A
guitar floorboard, an effects processor or something similar.
The nerd crew had shown some tremendous growth in the last year. While in
the past only dedicated laptopitians would use a laptop-based setup,
nowadays more and more former users of other setups (mostly rack-users
indeed) have switched to laptops. The range of laptops in use ranges from
an old 500MHz G3 up to a maxxed out DuoCore.
Great examples: Warren Sirrota, Per Boysen…and, well, myself.

4.      Distributed Stuff:
Lots of (mostly small) electronic components (like stompboxes, table-top
devices and perhaps a compact mixer) are brought along in a bag and then
set up on top of a table. This kind of a setup suffers mostly from the
rather big amount of cabling necessary when setting up in relation to the
number of devices used.
Great examples: Matt Davignon

5.      Small Stuff:
Most of the time one or two integrated stompboxes, sometimes enhanced by
an additional expression pedal etc. Small geometrical size and minimum
weight count here and thus great portability rating. Often it is possible
to entirely battery-power those setups (a property which they share with
most pedal boards).
Great examples: Genie (a distortion stompbox and a DL4), Pushing Air (a
beauty case (?) in mint green).