Re: OT $1.95 synth!

On 13-Jun-07, at 3:48 PM, sine@zerocrossing.net wrote:
>> Did I understand what you were saying?
>
> I'm not sure.  I thought you were saying that the VST synth market
> today
> was small and I'm thinking it's not that small.

Oh no!  that's not what I was saying. I would imagine the VST market is
huge because it's so cheap.

Somewhere back in the thread someone mentioned that some things
couldn't be sold cheap because they didn't think the market would
support all the R&D necessary to develop the product if sold cheap.
(Think "Looperlative"). That's why I mentioned the small synth market
in the 80's.  Nowadays it might be different with VST etc.  And
definitely Google has thrown a new frisbee into that whole logic.  I
would think it would take a lot of courage and fallback plans (or day
jobs) to pull that off.

You are 100% correct!  The cheaper the item the (potentially) bigger
the market.  $2 synths and free looping software is a great thing.
Hats off to those with the faith and/or resources to do it.

Richard