Re: laptops and performance

On 22 jun 2007, at 12.02, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
> In France there is a well known festival/competition in Bourges
> dedicated mostly to pure tape music. (The term tape is used for
> completely prerecorded/produced in the studio). And at GRM they
> have a special loudspeaker orchestra to play this kind of music. In
> this case it will be mixed live, but the performer is not on stage
> and out of focus for the audience.
> This tradition exists since more than 50 years...

That tradition is also alive in Sweden. I personally discovered it in
1980 and spent a lot of time traveling around here to catch up with
"playback sessions" at any of those gorgeous sound systems. *The
point is that the music was composed and produced for a dedicated
system, surround or whatever, and then a festival assembles such a
system to play it back to the audience. Even though it's possible to
set up rather complex sound systems for live performance it is quite
a different league when the music is carefully composed for the
system. (Last year I was lucky to play improvised live looping over a
18 channel/speaker system that covered all four walls plus the
ceiling. A collaborator used a Laptop with PD to run live
distribution of frequency bands over the speaker channels)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)