RE: Randomness

I find live performance to be quite random enough just by having two
other band members engaged in improvisation with me. we do have
randomness in a more granular form, though, by using noise & other
random/s&h signals for modulating otherwise sterile sound sources.

I like the idea of a sampler that plays random samples each time the
same note is triggered, though I would use such a technique for small
timbral variations rather than lucky-dip stuff. in fact, I do something
like this with my mellotron samples in an emu proteus "rompler" fitted
with flash-ram; four samples of the same note can be stacked & the
preset programmed to switch or crossfade amongst the four layers at
random.

d.