Re: Laptops -dedicated to music only?

I agree on this one for the most part, and I even have a XP laptop. If you
have a high performance laptop and it is up to date, I see no reason to
optimize, unless you just like doing this thing. I think folks are getting
too obessive/compulsive and hung up on this thing. I did some optimization
on mine, but it wasn't to fix any problems.

I argued with tech support for hours yesterday over this, regarding the
E-MU
1616 cardbus I purchaed. Fors starters, my ThinkPad T60p worked fine right
out of the box for running anything audio app I give it. All those OS
stuff
running in the background, security, network, virus programs, automatic
updaters, etc...I left it all, and I am still challenged to use the CPU
capacity. It's a screamin' computer...resources are NOT the issue.

I was on tech support with a guy and he asked me to tell him how many
processes I had running in the background, as if that could be a cause of
an
ASIO driver/communition and latency issue. I asked "Why?".  Why would this
all of a sudden be the issue just for this case, when this has never been
the problem for all other hardware and apps I've run with success?  He
continues to debate from his script card.

My laptop has 2gig of RAM, duo core 2Ghz processors, etc...it's not even
getting close to using the CPU and memory resources to run the OS, and
that
is with MAX running with tons of patches activated, etc. And of course, I
concluded at the end of the day that it was the E-MU ASIO driver that was
the problem, not my laptop or MAX. It's funny how your notebook can work
perfectly fine with every other app and hardware, and then as soon as you
have a problem with a particular system and manufacture, tech support
assumes the issue is your laptop. It can't possibly be a problem with
their
product! :)  So much for the process of elimination....apparenly that
logic
doesn't work with some tech support folk...they just go through their
canned
list of questions and procedure blindly.

Kris