Re: Record Industry Decline

Oh yeah - I forgot that element. Now all the radio stations are owned
by just a few companies (Clearchannel being the biggie.) Which means
that playlists are much more standardized than they used to be. Less
variety means less "survival of the fittest", which in turn lowers
quality and gradually lowers the need to get the new cd.

Wasn't there once a time when radio playlists were more regional?

There's a fairly recent development in this in the last 5 years or so
too - radio stations without dj's. They just throw a larger-than usual
playlist into a central computer, and feed that playlist to the
'variety' station in each city. The biggest one in San Francisco has
the motto "70's, 80's, 90's, whatever we feel like". They should be
sued for false advertising - "we" implies humans and "feel" implies
emotions!

Matt

On 7/6/07, BreachinThePeace@aol.com <BreachinThePeace@aol.com> was all: