OT: composers and musicians being paid their royalties, was Fripp and Eno

Don't believe it, the record companies never do anything for the
artist in the long run..... I had a 40 page contract that what ever
they gave you on page 6 they had a loophole to take back on page
35..... if they did anything in the name of the recording, ( which
included lunches, promo, etc. ) those expenses came out of my share
of the royalties, The people that played backup on the recording made
more money than I did. I did the math once, the record label would
pay it's expenses and clear over $150,000.00 before I got the first
penny off of that cd..... Now I had a lawyer look it over and he told
me that I actually had one of the better contracts he had ever seen
because if the recording flopped totally; I at least didn't owe the
record label whatever money they had invested. His advice, go and
enjoy the ride, and expect that the label will screw you in the end.
The recording gave me some valuable experience, and gave me some well
needed credibility amongst other industry people. It just makes me
laugh when people believe that the record labels care about lost
royalties to the artists or composers. all they care about is their
own lost revenues and their right to be the only ones to screw us out
of the rights and revenues of our music.

I suppose I sound a bit bitter, but it makes me really angry that I
should have to pay the record label if I want to re-record some of my
own compositions and release them independently.

ok, I'm better now, the rant is over. I'll go back to be the nice old
guy who plays pretty gentle music on the dulcimer..........

Paul Haslem
www.dulcify.ca