Re: LOVING NON NATIVE MUSICAL TRADITIONS (the psycholgy in music)

On 25 jul 2007, at 00.28, L.A. Angulo wrote:

> Some people think if you listen to somber music and
> dress all black every day or if you listen what people
> tend to label as "depressive music" or like certain
> "grausam" art there must be some sort of problem with
> you, or predict that it will eventually have a
> negative effect in you.But i am still not convinced
> with this.

Just filling in here: there are plenty of examples that a person can
be is a true asshole as a fellow human, but still be serene as an
angle in the music he or she creates. Or vice versa.

> When i talk to people  and say i like Pink
> floyd or Camaron de la Isla and love dalí they say "oh
> too depressive for me".But for me it doesnt feel that
> way,it just feels deep and sends me shivers,i once had
> a girlfirend that would become really stressed and
> irritated everytime i played a king Crimson album!
> the different perception and its preference behind is
> what still intrigues me...

I think that's because when a person listens to music it activates
the same inner (psychological and emotional) mechanisms that  also go
with "taking action". So if your girlfriends personality (at that
time) urged here to do things in a different way that the music
implied for her, it explains her feelings of stress. Since the
clashing happens at such a deep level i ones mind it's not even sure
the person understands what's going on; typically only senses the
threatening feeling, as if asked to do something one don't want to do.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)