anybody built a usb controller, yet?

hi there,
has anybody tried to build his/her own usb controller, yet?
i want to get around a monster like fcb to minimize my set up.
(after i had this gig where had to stomp around on a usb computer
keyboard,
the idea came up to build something proper that uses usb)

i found this: http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/
my plan is to have 7 footswitches for moebius and a footpedal for pitch
shifting, etc.
i'll report when i have the first results.

if anybody has done similar, please let me know.
(i have some questions. f.e. - the controller wants a linear
potentiometer,
but all effect pedals i looked at have logarithmic potis. can i use one
anyway?)

smooth looping - tilmann