Re: general question about equipment

On 3 aug 2007, at 14.33, BreachinThePeace@aol.com wrote:
> If you are talking a laptop, I would think 2.0 core 2 duo & 2 gig
> of ram would be enough but I still run out of room with the heavier
> plug ins like Stylus & Reaktor. Get as much as you possibly can and
> shoot for a laptop that can be upgraded to accommodate 4 gig of
> RAM. Actually, a single core is just as efficient in many senses,
> but you won't find too many these days in new laptop
> configurations. It seems the real issue is memory and not so much
> processor speed.

Just a short comment:
If the intention is to run Ableton Live a dual core machine will give
you almost the double processing power. That is if using Live in
version 6.0 or higher, because this is where the code was optimized
for double processor or dual core processor machines. I know this
because I have many different  computers here and have also done
comparing tests in contact with other Ableton users.

Myself I'm a heavy user of Mobius VST looper with lots of other VST
effect plug-ins hosted by Bidule, and I doubt a dual core machine
would give me much more performance use than the 2 GHz Centrino I
have been running for a couple of years, simply because these
combination of software is not optimized for dual CPU or dual core
technology (but as said, with Logic or Live the difference is huge).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)