From: "Dan Ash" <Daniel.Ash@Verizon.net>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: general question about equipment

> as for hardware loopers, I've done quite a bit of research and it
> seems that the digitech GNX4 at around $500 is the best bang for the
>buck.
This looks like a very powerful processor, and the 8-track recording
possibilities sound terrific.  However, it's not at all clear to me that
the 'loop mode' is suited to live performance.  There's been so little
discussion here of this unit and its predecessors that I think others
have reached this conclusion, too.

I suspect (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) that the looping
capabilities are limited to post-processing.  That is, you record or
import a track and set a loop point using the controls manually.  It
looks like the optional foot controller is dedicated to the
record/stop/play functions.  Neither Digitech's description of this unit
or the manual highlight a real-time scenario that includes looping.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with these processors?

I think the computer-based solutions running Ableton Live or Mobius have
*way more* potential.  If you have a computer, purchase of a foot
controller or MIDI keyboard can be your only cash expense. Mobius is a
free download and has a great user community that will help with any
questions you may have.

I have a friend that's been trying to convince me to scrap my 60-lb rack
and get on the Ableton bandwagon.  I'm very tempted, save for the $500+
price tag.  The Live! demo doesn't permit you to save your
configuration, so is not very practical other than maybe to run through
their tutorial.  So I'm leaning towards Mobius myself.

Anyway, as BreachinThePeace points out - regardless of which of these
paths you choose, I hope you have the *time* to explore the almost
limitless possibilities of these tools. I spent nearly a year learning
to 'play' the synth/looper system as an instrument.  It's an ongoing
effort.

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY