Re: Stylus RMX (was: Re: general question about equipment)

On 3 aug 2007, at 20.37, BreachinThePeace@aol.com wrote:
> How are you using it? Are you running several VSTs at once along
> with Stylus? Recording multiple midi tracks simultaneously? Are you
> dragging midi files from Stylus into Live's Stylus dedicated return
> tracks per the Stylus assigned midi channels? The thing is, I have
> never seen any of my other VSTIs do this accept for Stylus. You
> have run Stylus (our computers that is) out of memory haven't you?

When I bought RMX I had an idea that it would be cool to use on stage
on a laptop as part of improvised performances. But I soon found out
it is too CPU demanding and unstable for that. I also felt bit lame
to use those pre recorded drum sounds live so I thought I would
either make the drumming by vocal beatboxing or other percussive
sounds made by flute. But RMX is really good for producing recorded
music and that's how I use it. I only use it as AU plug-in i Logic
and in all ways; in "groove mode" as well as in "slice mode". I use
all kinds of randomizations, both the chaos machine and the buzz. I
also record and make my own RMX files from sessions with hand drum
percussionists and myself playing guitar. Especially funky rhythm
guitar is very creative to have pre-recorded as RMX files when
working on a studio production and you want to try out those kind of
patterns. Yes, I drag MIDI patterns ("slice" or "groove mode" type of
MIDI sequences) from RMX onto dedicated channels in Logic. Quite
often I use all available eight RMX channels and I bring out the
audio as multichannel; so each drum comes up on its own channel in
Logic's mixer. That's because I don't like the library sounds much
and want to process them with Logic's effects to give it a new touch.
I think RMX is a genius studio production tool. The feel you get when
applying a slight amount of randomization to all eight drum tracks is
something really unique.

I've never "run out of memory" because of RMX. But I must say that
I'm not sure what you mean by that expression? Maybe that's because
I'm using Logic, since Logic's sampler works in a way that if RAM is
getting short it dumps some of the samples and starts streaming them
from the hard drive instead of keeping it all in the RAM.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)