Re: Subject: Laptop-based looping

i just purchased live. Do I need to get Operator? Would mobius be a good replacement for Operator?

On 8/11/07, Kelly Coyle <skcoyle@gmail.com> wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily rely on that info about the MFC10 -- but I
don't know how you would find out whether it really works or not
without buying one. Unless someone you believe actually knows
something (a little hard to tell sometimes on the net) has one, uses
it, and says it's OK.

As far as I've been able to tell, footpedal-wise you have these
choices (of pedals currently made) for Mobius in particular (some gear
is not so flexible in MIDI assignments as Mobius and Live; if, for
instance, you want to control an EDP most of these won't work). I have
all this at hand because it's the problem I'm trying to solve, too. So
I hope more people answer your question. What I present here is mostly
gleaned from Internet research, so YMMV.

Behringer FBC1010. Probably the best available, cheap, and made by an
otherwise cruddy company. It's depressing. I have one here, and am
trying to decide whether to keep it. Downsides: large, and just the
overall legacy of Behringer. Supposedly the "action" on the pedals is
a little sloppy, as compared to the:

Nobels MF-2. You can get it from Goldyke (may have spelled that
wrong). Supposedly higher precision than the Behringer, twice as much
money, *and* you have to supply your own continuous controllers (up to
4, though, which is cool). I am tempted by this one.

Ground Control Pro, All Access, CAE: these all seem very similar to
one another. Much higher build quality than Behringer, but make a
decided click which is a problem if there's a mic anywhere in your
looping rig: *click* music *click* music... Expensive. For myself, I
have to decide if I am ever going to want to loop acoustically or
vocally.

High end pedals -- I forget the brand names, but if you need them I'll
find them. No experience whatsoever with these. These often come in at
nearly 1K.

Low end pedals -- eight or ten button control change only pedals
sometimes with a continuous pedal tucked on the end (e.g., Rolls).
These might work with Live and Mobius because you can use pretty much
any MIDI message to do anything. Several companies make these, and
used ones are nearly free. Some of them would probably be OK. Others
might not be precise enough -- I have no idea. I have an ART here
somewhere I should probably power up and test.

Also: Roland has a couple of pedals, with a new one coming out. And
the Yamaha...

--
http://quotidianme.kellycoyle.net
http://organicguitar.kellycoyle.net