RE: Emulation

I disagree.  Most people don't play music to be unique.  They play to
entertain.  They play to express or evoke emotion.  My brother blows me
away
with musical knowledge and technique... but he sounds like millions of
other
guitar players.  I don't even think he cares or wants to be different.  He
just wants to play music people enjoy and usually that means it's what
they're familiar with.  The idea that music is for iconic players is silly.
It's for everyone who wants to do it.  There's room for Hendrix and for the
guy who's trying really hard to play Eruption perfectly... (as long as they
don't do it in a music store. ;))

What do you think of classical musicians who are amazing but blaze no new
trail?

I used to feel there was something about the "cult of originality" but no
more.  I'm more interested in well crafted interesting music.  If I can
hear
the artist's influences then so be it.  I'm more about quality... though I
have to say I do like weird stuff compared to most people.  I'm sure my
guitar sounds Frippish.  Welcome to my united states of whatever.

;)