Re: Imitation vs influence

I saw wonderful example of this on the weekend... I went to a blues
festival and saw Jeff Healey do an amazing version of All along the
watchtower. He started off with that very familiar wah wah solo from
Hendrix and gave just enough of it to take you back to Hendrix but
then went off in his own style and improvisations... Wow what a player!
In a totaly different style I saw Robin Bullock (a great traditional
guitar etc. player) doing a flatpicking solo and in the midst of it
put in just enough of that familiar Smoke on the Water chord into that
you knew what was and made you laugh because it was such a huge jump
from the trad. fiddle tune that he was improvising on.
I love hearing those little quotes in the midst of something else when
it's done musically.

Paul Haslem
www.dulcify.ca