Static Loops, Quantized Sequences and Music that Breathes

--
D. wrote:
" the drummer doesn't like clicks or
flashing lights & in any case, we all think that for the music to be
able to "breathe", we don't want quartz-locked BPM.

Having been a live and studio drummer professionally for 30 years I feel
compelled to
chime in here.    All music,  including quartz-locked BPM loops or
sequenced
music
has the ability to 'breathe".      It just takes a more sophisticated
drummer (and other
musicians) to make it appear to breathe.

In the case of playing to quantized sequences or static loops,   it is
efficacious to
practice playing anywhere from way behind the beat (in a musical fashion
that does
not 'lose'  the connection to the quantized part) to way, way up on top of
the beat.

Early on in studio playing (and before the advent of computerized
recording
that allows
people to edit so effortlessly with digital crossfading like anyone can do
on a home
computer these days)   we learned that we could make recordings much
faster
(and
hence, way less costly)  by using click tracks that kept the musicians
more
honest in
terms of overall tempo (there's breathing in this case and there's just
plain old shitty
timekeeping, if you know what I mean).

At the same time,  rigidity is the first inherent problem of trying to
learn
how to play to
clicks.

We were forced , back in the day (early 80's when I did the bulk of my
professional
studio work) to try and figure out how to make the music feel organic even
if we were
playing to a quantized click track.

During that process,  we learned that if we were to get off of the click
that we needed to
drift back to it instead of trying to jump immediately to the proper tempo
(in the former,
you never hear the mistake in the recording;  in the latter,  you hear the
'bump' in the
time immediately).

Learning how to do this...............to play at a different place in the
beat,  that still is
musical then helped prepare us when we encountered people from other
cultures who
'felt'  the beat differently  (Southern soul musicians who play very, very
laid back and
behind the beat,   West coast funkateers who are way up  on top of things,
Brazilians
who have great time but don't play to a 16th note evenly spaced grid in
their playing,
etc.)

I have to say when I hear of a drummer who says,   "I hate click tracks or
blinking lights
or playing to static loops"   I think,   here is a drummer whose overall
understanding of
the concept of keeping time is not real sophisticated.

The drummer, probably more than anyone,  is capable of imparting great
difference in
the way a piece of music if felt,  vis a viz time.     The drummer can
make
really
locked quantized parts  feel very organic and can make completely
unsynchronized
musicians feel very rigid and static depending on how he or she plays.

Time is a deep world.    It's a fascinating world.    Like all things,
it's
really good for
one's musicianship to stay flexible when it comes to playing in any
musical
setting.

A mentor of mine (a guitarist who had backed Aretha Franklin for several
years) once
said,    "Every song can groove at any tempo...........it's your job to
figure out how to
make a song groove"   (and breathe) if it is played at an uncomfortable
tempo or if it is
locked to a quartz-locked BPM.   If someone calls 'Sunshine of your Love"
at
ludicrously slow tempo,  you can make it groove like hell if you play way
behind the
beat and in a very heavy manner.   The same is true if it is called too
fast.
This musician taught me that any audience can hear if you change tempo in
song
(especially if you are compensating at the start of a song because it
'doesn't feel right.'
He said,  "The audience never knows if you are doing a rendition of a tune
or trying to
play it authentically..........they only know if your time is strong or
not.

He would drill our band at the time by purposefully call different (and
unconventional)
tempos for different tunes in our repertoire...............if we
complained
that such a song
was at the wrong speed,  he would yell at us,  "Find the groove,   find
the
groove".

It was one of the best disciplines I ever learned as a professional
touring
and studio
drummer and, to this day,  it feels unprofessional when someone tries to
get
me to speed up or slow down because a song feels wrong................lol,
it's just not
always appropriate for me to yell,  "Find the groove,  find the groove you
guys!!!!"

Rick Walker

ps    Earlier on this list,  I believe that I posted a series of exercises
that I have been
using with great success with beginning beginner drummers and bassists so
that they
can learn how to 'breathe' and play with different relaxed feels to a
click
track.
Check it out if you feel like you don't know how to do this yourself.   It
only takes a
couple of hours of work to learn how to do this and your whole musical
world
will
change if you learn the concept.      There's only one little
warning.......once you learn
how to play effortlessly and with a natural 'breathing quality'  to a
click
track  you will
begin to notice how many musicians out there don't know how to do it and
are
xenophobic when it comes to the concept.
If you can't find the exercises,   I'll repost them.  Just let me know if
you are interested