Re: RE: octave pitch shifting down?

> I use a Danelectro Chili Dog.
Me too. Great little pedal, costs almost nothing. I run it through a SansAmp Bassdriver DI to beef it up:

http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/jazzpedalboard/jazzpedalboard.html

Sometimes it bounces up an octave, but this is greatly reduced if you use the neck pickup and play with your fingers. The whole reason I have this strange Copeland pickup in the neck position instead of a Roland-type synth pickup at the bridge is so the Chili Dog will work better. One certain note (F at third fret on D string) always bounces an octave on my guitar, but it bounces in a graceful way that is not at all annoying. I dunno what they are doing with the circuit...it's not a simple octave divider that outputs a square-wave type signal, like most of these pedals. Somehow, differences in timbre on the guitar come out through the pedal. And its dynamic response is really nice.

I have a VG-8 processor which cost me, lessee, $1200/40 = 30 times as much as the Chili Dog, and I like the Chili Dog better for bass! Mainly because there is no tracking delay and it doesn't sound all warbly on the attack. The pitch shifter on the VG-8 introduces a little bit of delay.

One time I played an Electro-Harmonix Microsynth reissue pedal, and the octave divider on that seemed very similar to the Chili Dog. Maybe Danelectro ripped off their circuit.

Anyway, try one out, you can't beat the price!

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net