Re: octave pitch shifting down?

On 18 aug 2007, at 16.21, midifriedchicken@comcast.net wrote:
> Are there any plug in versions that are light on cpu that work well?

If my memory serves me correctly you are looking for OS X format plug-
ins? (think I saw some posts by you on the SooperLooper list
earlier). Then you should already have the excellent free Apple plug-
ins on your computer! Check out the "AU Pitch". That's the one I
prefer for pitch-shifting. With todays version of OS X these free
plug-ins sound a lot better and are a lot less CPU intensive compared
to when they first were released as a Tiger bundle. Go "AU Plug-ins /
Apple / etc etc ".

Michael Norris Soundmagicspectral suit is also free, but IMHO not
quite as good as Apple for pitching. They are also free though, and
have some remarkably cool granular drone plug-ins (free alternative
to RiverRun, for those who are into that).

You are asking if they "work well", but that's impossible to answer.
As all software real-time pitchers there is a longer latency than in
some hardware pitching devises. As for myself I'm finding the Apple
plug-in useful for adding a low fifth or octave to fatten up my
sound. But I don't like it for "bass lines" though. I'd rather make
bass lines by pitching the entire loop up one octave, play a bass
line in double speed and then pitch back the loop to normal speed and
have the added layer play back one octave lower than my real-time
instrument.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)