Re: First Loop Sync

On 22 aug 2007, at 13.45, jnd wrote:

> Not sure I understand the Punch in / out advice you gave me.
> Would you mind explaining it again?
> Thanks

Open the GUI window for the plug-in and look for the small boxes
named "puch in" and "puch out". Click inside them to select them and
make this function active. Then assign some MIDI event to the "Tap
Record" button. Under the correct settings a Tap Record command will
start a recording (for the length set by the combination of Beat
Divisor and (number of) Beats. When the recording is reaching the end
of the loop the Input Level will automatically return to zero, and
your noisemaking will not be overdubbed into the loop - only heard on
top of the loop.

> Do you control Augustus with a midi remote controller?

yes

> Have you had any problems with that?

No.

> I am trying to control Augustus with a max-msp patch that sends
> midi messages through controller 22 ( mapped on the augustus manual
> as input level knob ) channel 1.
>
> - on max-msp midi setup i have "from max-msp 1" chosen has an
> output device.
> - on Live Midi Sync preferences i have the  input: from MaxMpsp1
> Remote ON
> - on Augustus I have selected midi in Channel 1&2.

You need an additional setting i Live's MIDI preferences. You have to
tell Live which MIDI input it shall listen to for Track Input!
After setting that up you can use any MIDI Track in Live to direct
any MIDI Input directly to the looper plug-in (here Augustus Looper).

So, given you use Max as the MIDI controller (ie sending out the MIDI
events for AL to react on) you hold down the mouse button over a MIDI
Track's input field and choose the relevant Max MIDI output and then
you hold down the mouse button over the same MIDI Track's output
field and choose first the Audio Track hosting the AL plug-in and
secondly the AL plug-in.

---> Next level info:
With Augustus Loop under Live there are two ways of targeting looper
parameters for MIDI control. One is to use Live's internal MIDI
mapping. Doing this will overrun the plug-in's pre configured
bindings of events to parameters. Another way is to read in the AL
manual to find out exactly which MIDI events are pre configured to
control certain parameters values. Then you send the relevant MIDI
directly into the plug-in. My experience is that this works better
although it's a little bit more tedious to set up (I just hate
programming and setting stuff up).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)