Re: comparison Fireface400 vs. Fireface800

Looks like you've done some good analysis on these firewire boxes. I am
personally sold on the FW400 so far, yet I don't have the mic insert
requirements that you have. Two is enough for me.  I also want the smaller
half-rack space units, and not a full rack width unit. I will be buying
the
FW400 in the next month or so, to initially use on my ThinkPad with an
Adaptec cardbus firewire adaptor (someone on the list recommended, who is
is
using it successfully with another T60 ThinkPad).  I've heard a lot of
Maxers talk good things about the FW400, working well with max and macs.
So,
I'll be using this when I get my new macbook in January.  The inserts I
hear
are very good quality, as is the drivers.

For other audio interfaces in this same price range and quality, I haven't
found much. I noticed Focusrite has new boxes out for $700 and $500
(Saphire
Pro 26 and Saffire Pro10)...they are known for good inserts, but can't say
about their drivers. I think the Motu units still have a good reputation,
like the Ultralite.  TC Electrnic makes a $500 box, the Konneckt 24D, but
know nothing about it.  And then there is the M-Audio 1814.

Of all the half rack firewire units, the FW400 seems to be the most
expensive. Do we pay for what we get? If so, that's the ticket.

I would be interested, Rainer, in your analysis and comparison of the
FW400
($1000), the TC Electronic Konnekt 24D ($500), Focusrite Saffire Pro10
(4500), M-Audio 1814 ($500), and Motu UltraLite ($550) - all half rack
firewire boxes.

Kris