Re: RME Firewire 800 and Guitar Amp Sim - Preamps

i read a pete townsend interview as a kid and they where asking him
about gtrs
and he said he didn't care about the guitars, its all about the amp,
the guitars
are secondary and he picks them to suit the amp not the other way around
i'm not saying this is an end all comment and may well have been off
the cuff BS
but it resonated with what i thought at the time about my love for
hot rodded
princetons and deluxes

i play alot of bass, a whole lot of acoustic and nylon guitars and
other instruments
and DI all the time but when it comes to playing electric guitar it
just seems like the
sound and FEEL isn't there until i run it through something....ampish
and i play clean most of the time, its not that i need distortion etc

i don't skimp money on guitars or pickups and use good cables
i like to pick an electric acoustically and agree it should have a good
tone like that as an indicator of a quality instrument but for me it
only
starts there, mag pickups just seem lame without the partner they
started out
with, obviously they don't work plugged DI without SOMETHING in between
them and the board, to me it sounds best if that something replicates
what a
simple clean warm tube amp does or something designed with those
impedances
and circuitry in mind, something made FOR guitar

and i readily accept that what sounds and feels like ass to me
is the holy grail to someone else and that we are both right

the duncan pedal preamp that was mentioned recently is great
i have a rack version of it loaded with a 12au7 that is my fav and
gives tons of headroom but still adds that tube warmth and feel

the following is opinion only NOT meant as recommendation or argument
TO ME a DI'd electric is like a crappy acoustic with little body
resonance
it doesn't become an electric guitar till it runs through circuitry
meant for those
mag pickups, its like a speaker without the box, yeah its vibrating
but without the
enclosure to shape it, the sound ain't makin it