Re: pcmcia/cardbus vs. firewire

Well, Rainer sent these figures out as a result of a thread we had on this:

5. USB 1.x 12Mbps = 1.5MBps
4. FW400      400Mbps =  50MBps
3. USB 2.0      480Mbps =  60MBps
2. FW800      800Mbps = 100MBps
1. PCI/PCMCIA    1.1Gbps = 133MBps

If you are using FW800, then it appears cardbus will not get you that much
more speed. But more importantly, Per or Andy?
did the math to suggest that all this speed will not necessarily get your
better peformance, given the bandwidth requirements of
mulit-tracking.

Also, it may be the case that audio companies just haven't invested that
much in cardbus solutions (except for Indigo and RME, a few others),
so there are performance issues not related to speed. I've read a few of
them on some audio lists.

Finally, PCMCIA evolved to Cardbus (CardBus are PCMCIA 5.0 or later (JEIDA
4.2 or later) 32-bit PCMCIA devices, introduced in 1995) and now we have
ExpressCard.  Interesting article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

The ExpressCard has a maximum throughput of 2.5 Gbit/s, versus CardBus's
shared 1066 Mbit/s bandwidth.

Kris