Re: WAS: Who uses looping in their promo material? NOW:Prerecordedmaterial

regarding Machios training for the movie; He was actually tutored by Arlen Roth ( magazines like Guitar player in the eighties where full of articles  about this)

check this out: http://arlenroth.com/crossroads.html

2007/9/18, Stephen Goodman <spgoodman@earthlight.net>:
From: "Krispen Hartung" <khartung@cableone.net>

> I did like Vai on Crossroads however...playing as the devil's guitar
> player...I love that scene where he gets pissed off and drops the guitar
> on the stage, after shaking the guitar upside down with only the tremelo
> bar. Wonderful.  I heard he played all the parts on that movie?

This was a Ry Cooder / Steve Vai  effort, with nearly-accurate fingering
on-screen by Ralph Macchio.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090888/trivia

It would have been quite educational to be on THAT set while Cooder/Vai
trained Macchio I suspect.

Another award for music for Ry Cooder!  (Funny, "Performance" was on last
night...)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090888/awards

******************

I must however take exception to anyone who disses this film!  There are two
very redeeming items for me besides the guitarwork on the soundtrack, and
the duel at the end:

* Joe Seneca's "Willie Brown" tells Ralph Macchio's character that "The
Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.."  I enjoy that one on two
levels, one of them obviously egotistic (What's in a name, eh?).

* I know of one fellow I used to play blues with, that amazingly enough
never heard of Robert Johnson until he saw "Crossroads".  For a fellow
white-boy-from-suburbs I count that to be a point of salvation for all
concerned!

(Suddenly remembering Mick Jagger going on about "The only performance that
makes it, that makes it all the way, is the one that achieves madness. Am I
right? Eh?  Right?")

Ah well, the house is nearly done and I'm hopefully finishing off a
shingles-like virus.  And the equipment is nearly set up!

S.

--
Arne R. Skage jr.

91157204