Re: Quasi Digital/Analog Modular Looper?

>> Leon said:
>>> I do not get on with Laptops as instruments (my failing!) and am
>>> looking
>> for hardware alternatives.
>>> I have been thinking of assembling the following setup and
>>> wondered if
>> anyone had any better and cheaper ideas on how I could go about this.
>>> I want to ditch the laptop and assemble an "analog modular
>>> looper"with this
>> sampling module at its heart
>> http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs290.htm
>>
>> I guess for your application, a Nord Modular (whichever variant) in
>> combination with a hardware looper (EDP, Repeater, Looperlative)
>> should do
>> the trick. Our own Claude Voit (http://www.claudevoit.ch/) has done
>> completely otherwordly things with the EDP/Modular combo.
>>
>> Rainer

Check out the link and it sounds interesting. I however need to have
multiple loop lengths running simultaneously and the ability to add
effects to each loop,I believe this is possible with the
looperlative. What I am not sure is possible presetting loop sample
time so Loop 1 can be a bar of 5/4 and loop 2 15/8 for example. I
currently do this  via the Schaltwerk which controls record start and
stop.

Can the loooperlatives seperate loops be controlled like this?
Does the looperlative quantize? Ie in free mode if i record a bar of
4/4 can I then record the second loop in 9/8 and have the loops
completely sync to the eighth note, ie have my footswitch quantized
exactly to the nearest eight note? I am guessing this is impossible
without some kind of metronome or click
Currently I work to the big clock in the sky, everything is related
to seconds, and I preset boss gigadelays to different lengths. If the
RC could sync to itself or anything else it may be possible to use that

Is this quantisation able to be set on 16th/ 32 and 64th values? Can
for example my 4/4 loop be turned into 31/32? I can do this with
three samplers and my schaltwerk, or internally on laptop. I want the
loop lengths to be constantly shifting with each repetition, a-synch
and clocked to a time signature. This would be possible with
sequencer clock step sequencers, perhaps with digital trigging. I
assume this would be possible with a midi sequencer unit controlling
the looperltive

I would also like an easy simple way of achieving metric modulation
in lengths moving from say 4/4 to 4/5, ( quarter note = fifth of the
whole note, ie bar length shortens, tempo speeds up. I would like the
technology to aid me to do things which are impossible to do with
complete accuracy as a human performer

I think a modular synthesizer built especially for looping is an
interesting proposition. The system would be scaleable, you could add
loop modules (samplers)
as you go, have a small cut down system or a larger one for different
occasions, add clocks, sequencers, filters,  envelops, and have loop
parameters such as length, pitch, direction, sample start and end
point (even bit rate with the doepfer modules) all voltage controlled.

This RS unit is pretty unique and is the only voltage controlled
sampler in existence as far as I know. Anyone know of any others?

  The cost is pretty high and thats why I am giving it some serious
thought! Will cost about $3000 to build an initial system.

leon