Drum MACHINES

: "Per Boysen" <perboysen@gmail.com>   wrote:
>  In my own praxis I prefer strictly quantized drum programming. The
> reason is that my taste rather favors "making machines groove"  than
> "laying down a human groove".

That's where I'm at in this point in time.  Right now my emphase is on
MACHINE, not drum.  I want to make beats that have somewhat of a machine
quality to them, a machine rhythm.  That doesn't mean that there can't be
variety to them, if that's what I'm looking for

If I want a boom, or a bang, it doesn't need to be a bass drum, or a
snare.
It can be anything, found sounds, etc. that go boom or bang.  If I want a
"real" drum sound with a "human" feel, I can play my acoustic set.

Like so many things in music, it all boils down to personal preference,
and/or style, and how "popular" or accepted we want to be.  Otherwise, the
audience, the listener, the critic, the fellow artist be damn.  I guess it
depends on how much of an "Outsider" we want to be, to use one of Colin
Wilson's terms.

Nice discussion!  I believe someone once said that this group DOES have
it's
opinions.  Amen, and amen!

Tom