AW: another survey (wasRe: OT, but getting close to not-OT: guitar/sax improv sessions)

> Which brings me to a topic I've been wondering about lately:

Seems to be survey time this time of the year...

First of all, some background:
My first (and to this day, I believe most important) instrument has been
the
piano, or more generally keyboards. I then started to more or less learn
(some of them to a very minimal degree) in that order: trombone, drums,
(alto and soprano) saxophone, bass guitar, guitar.

As a composer, I'm more into the Bach(Beethoven/Wagner/Mahler) line than
into the Mozart line. Meaning lots of (sometimes rather simple) stuff going
on at the same time, with equal importance forming the whole, instead of
one
beautiful melody with perhaps only some added backdrop (chords). And I also
firmly believe (at least when doing tonal, not primarily rhythmic or noise
stuff) in the Bach concept of superordinant two-voice arrangement, i.e.
that
the composition while containing lots of stuff going on, is rooted into the
interplay of melody and bass line.

That being said...

> 1) how many people on the list do solo non looping gigs?
Mhmmm, is it a solo gig if I play piano and sing at the same time? I
believe
within the scope of your question, rather not. I played a few solo gigs in
the past, most of them on the piano, although some on the trombone as well.
Some of the piano gigs not with original material, though (jazz piano). Is
it also considered "solo non looping" if I use a delay? A chorus?

> 2) "the beauty of the single not line" - how many guitar
> players/ players of multitimbral instruments can do an
> improv. gig using only single note lines and hold an
> audiences attention? for how long?
I never tried that on the piano. I believe on the piano it might be even
harder than on the guitar, because you don't have that many means of
putting
expression into a single note (bending, volume pedal, vibrato,...)

> 3) if you're not comfortable doing this, is that because of
> preference (ie: vertical vs. linear hearing)?  Being raised
> on a particular instrument?  Or did you gravitate towards
> your preferred instrument due to how you hear things?
See above

> 4) if you play a mono timbral instrument (horns etc) is the
> desire to "loop" a means of filling up vertical space to
> compliment your single note line play?
Among other things (sound design, multiinstrumental stuff). I also did that
non-looping by using the technique of playing notes alternatingly in
different registers of the instrument, thus giving the impression of two
lines happening at once (something like Bobby McFerrin on trombone).

        Rainer