Re: Following Acoustic Musicians with Looper

   I use a combo of retrigger / sus-unrounded-multiply on the EDP.  This
way I can comfortably play with others changing the loop length on the fly
and / or retriggering if necessary.  The performance is seamless and I can
overdub while multiplying as well...

   For those not familiar with this EDP feature, it allows you to change
the loop length (either shorter or longer) on the fly and can be
unquantized so one can listen to a tempo and simply expand or contract the
loop in real time.  This is different from the Repeater in that the loop
actually has material added or subtracted from it with the EDP as you do
the multiply, whereas the Repeater can apply time stretching to the loop
using BPM rather than simply defining a length by ear as it were...

-Not sure if the new Repeater sw has changed this...

HTH...

Smiles,

Cara  :)

At 10:08 AM 10/5/2007 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi folks
>
>When I loop _by_myself_, I'm quite happy with the musical freedom. If I
>have an idea in my head, I can transform it into sounding music on a
>looper more or less to my satisfaction.
>
>When I play with others and _I_set_the_rhyhthm_ (and often also the bass
>line) on my looper, it also works out quite well.
>
>When it comes to playing together with other acoustic musicians in a live
>setting where _they_set_the_tempo_ , there still seems to be a long way
>to go.
>Recently, I jammed with a couple acoustic musicians where I didn't
>dominate the song structure. So, the tempo was varying about ca. +/- 20
>BPM. Eventually, I had to turn my RC-2 off.
>
>To make a long story short: What looping features & skills do you need to
>be able to play live with other musicians?
>How do you keep in sync and keep up with tempo properly (acoustic
>instruments only and no drummer with a midi trigger)?
>
>My first guess is that you need a looper with the following features:
>- Retrigger loop(s)
>- Tap tempo
>
>So, what hardware loopers are able to do this?
>Retrigger:
>I can't really do that with my RC-50 + RC-2. You can't really stop and
>restart the loop because the ther will be a big "hole" in the music
>(maybe
>it works if you add a lot of reverb or put another loop under it?).
>
>Tap Tempo:
>More or less useless on RC-50 (might work if you only have percussion).
>RC-2: works quite fine. But you cannot use an external foot pedal for
>that
>(tap tempo will work only in stop mode). That means you have to bend down.
>
>So, how about other hardware loopers? And software (Mobius or
>SooperLooper)?
>
>Have you experience with handling such situations in practice?
>
>Best regards
>Buzap
>

>--
>Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehört?
>Der kanns mit allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger
>

>--
>10/2/2007 6:43 PM

---
   View my on-line portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

   "The only things I really think are important, are love, and each
other.  -Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~cara-quinn