Re: Subject: Re: another survey (wasRe: OT, but getting close to not-OT: guitar/sax improv sessions)

                  I've said this before, and will say it again:

GO - SEE- DARYL!!!

You'll be super glad you did!!!  :)

Laters,

CQ  :)

At 12:12 PM 10/6/2007 -0500, you wrote:

>Lessee, there were a lot of questions in there...I do "dry" solo
>guitar/vocal shows, usually half instrumental pieces, half vocal, as a
>separate thing from looping (which at this point, only with
>Chinapainting,
>I'm not doing solo looping gigs otherwise right now). I started out as a
>musician playing tuba, did some typical piano lessons, then flirted with
>drums and bass before hitting on guitar, and the thing that I loved
>instantly were chords, chords, chords. I LOVE CHORDS. I might have stuck
>with the piano for this reason, but the expressiveness that Rainer
>mentioned drew me more towards the guitar, I believe.
>
>So I don't do solo-line gigs, or tunes. Neither my current solo stuff nor
>Chinapainting involve real single-note soloing, but when I do find myself
>in that situation, I always involve a lot of partial or complete chords
>in
>addition to solo lines. I do love horns, and vocals, and other
>single-note
>instruments, but I think it's their incredible dynamic range that makes
>them work for me. I think what drew me to looping was having more
>harmonic
>colors at the same time, more interesting simultaneous combinations of
>notes/textures.
>
>(brief plug: I'm playing a few of these currently on-topic vocal/instro
>solo shows in the weeks before and after the Loopfest, all in CA. October
>14 in Culver City (that is, LA), October 25 and 26 in Oxnard, October 27
>in Redondo Beach. Chinapainting is also playing shows right before and
>after the 'fest, the 18th in Oakland, 19th in San Francisco, and Sunday
>way out in Lodi at a winery. I'll flog the looping shows when the time
>gets closer, details for the solo shows are on my site. begging your
>indulgence..)
>
>Daryl Shawn
>www.swanwelder.com
>www.chinapaintingmusic.com
>
>>I've always wondered why someone chooses a particular instrument as
>their
>>"voice" - multitimbral vs mono timbral - and, based on my own experience
>>and conversations with others came to the conclusion (assumption?) that,
>>in a lot of cases, it has to do with how you hear things/ organize
>>sounds, in your head.  When you think of a melody are you hearing single
>>notes flowing one after the other, multiple voices running parallel, or
>>more texturally (ie: notes stacked on top of each other)?  When you pick
>>up your instrument do you gravitate towards single note lines or a more
>>chordal approach and is this based on preference or the physicality of
>>the instrument?  Another question I should have asked in my original
>post
>>was:  How many people have switched instruments to meet their needs.
>

>--
>269.13.39/1045 - Release Date: 10/2/2007 6:43 PM

---
   View my on-line portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

   "The only things I really think are important, are love, and each
other.  -Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~cara-quinn