Re: Startup Apps for Laptop Loopers - streamline performance, etc

On 11 okt 2007, at 17.47, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> I would be curious to know what other folks are using. Has anyone
> found an app like AutoRuns that allows you to save multiple
> configurations

I used to tweak quite a lot of system settings in Windows 95 and got
much better performance out of the machines. But when XP arrived and
computers got faster there wasn't really much need of doing that,
except for tweaking of some background services. But I did not use an
application to do this every time I started the machine. Instead I
set up the machine with different bootable system partitions, each
one hidden and thus not visible from the others (since this is not
really possible with unhidden partition. So the partition I chose to
boot from launched a system that truly believed that it owned control
of the complete hardware. And the music partition had of course no
virus protection software or network drivers installed, only pure
intel power. That solution is much faster, compared to booting the
machine and having to start killing off background services.

In this way I used PC's for audio work in a recording studio context
between 2000 and 2003. Since 2003 I have been using Macs (except for
a pc lappy for Mobius).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)