AW: y2k7 mp3s

> Listen to both of these recordings of Henry Kaiser at Y2K7,
> or just the first minute of each file to get a flavor of the sound.
> http://www.box.net/shared/8bqpziuucu
> http://www.box.net/shared/eab932crud
>
> Can anyone here any differences in the two files? If so,
> what? Which one do you prefer?

Are these the two recordings which you also posted on the y2kloopfest
website? If so:

The first thing that shows is for the second file (from no on called "2")
that it sounds horrible when listening to it in mono. Yes, a phase
correlation meter shows us there's a lot of anti-phase stuff going on.
2 also has by far more prominent bottom end. 1 has these ugly stuff in the
2kHz region happening.
Both have a sharp decline 'round 13kHz. (This is something I didn't hear,
just see).

I don't like either one ;)

> Any preference? Notice how the mic version in no way captures
> the major low end frequency of my guitar part (using pitch
> shifter and string tuned down to very low...it's probably in
> the 10-20k range. I don't think I've experienced a mic that
> could capture this in the same way as the driect recording.
> Maybe a $1000 + grade mic?

I guess you mean 10-20 range? You can look for relatively cheap
small-diaphragm condenser omnis or PZM omnis (e.g. the $50 apiece Behringer
ECM8000 are specified down to 15Hz). What you will have a hard time getting
for below $1000 is a PA which properly reproduces 15Hz.

        Rainer