Re: square waves/repeater

On Nov 1, 2007, at 14:33, Goddard, Duncan wrote:
> no, but you've given me an idea, for which many thanks. the
> repeater can
> be made to respond to midi controllers, & so a sequencer playing
> back a
> midi controller with continuously varying value could be used to
> modulate things in the repeater. I'm going to try CC14, which is
> (IIRC)
> the newly available controller on the repeater that makes pitch &
> tempo
> change together...

Many years ago, when I had a Repeater, David Torn hinted me at the
trick of running a MIDI sequencer synced to the Repeater and sending
in MIDI to do "square wave pitch modulation" of loops. First I tried
CC14 but the Repeater was too slow to react in a musical way. Then I
tried MIDI notes and that was working like a charm! Simply select one
of the track select buttons on the Repeaters front panel and send
MIDI notes into the machine; it will then hook up that track to do
pitch follow according to the received MIDI notes (just as the
Augustus Looper AU on Mac does). Bill Walker also used to play with
this Repeater technique before he was bitten by the Looperlative. I
pretty much do this old Repeater trick these days on my looping
laptopo by scripting in Mobius.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)