From: Mark Landman mlandman@sonic.net
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:35:10 -0700
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: square waves (as VST)

One critical difference between using the old Lexicon boxes square
wave mod vs. a VST or any newer fx box is the way the delay is done.

The Lexi's modulated an oscillator that clocked the delay, nowadays
delay lines just aren't done that way. If you look back thru the
archives Kim talked about this a lot when we were asking for pitch/
time changing effects on the Echoplex.

Years ago I had a Lexicon Prime Time II with expanded memory, and
square wave modulating a long loop was one of my favorite techniques.
Adding some short resonant feedback throbs via the 2nd tap (the Prime
Time II was a 2 tap delay line with great onboard mixing
capabilities!) and it was loop heaven. Since then I've tried to
emulate that sound with many fx boxes including Eventide and Kyma,
and it's never sounded the same.

Having said all this, if this sound could be caught in a plug-in it'd
be great.

Mark