Re: Fwd: Need time sync explained

Per Boysen wrote:
> On 3 nov 2007, at 13.57, van Sinn wrote:
>
>> That I don't understand, of cause, based on lack on experience.
>> For 'fixed' synchopatics music, it makes sense; for progressive
>> styles with changing patterns, I'd think linking to drums would be
>> better.
>> Then again, if percussion isn't at a steady rate, I do see poblems..
>> I'm sure you have your reasons, though..
>

> I prefer manual syncing because I find it more musical. That is, you
> can always instantly follow anyone that happens to play "the wrong"
> arrangement of the song. Even if the tempo changes you can still make
> your loops sound good by re-triggering them halfway through or maybe
> only using the first few beats of the loops.

Got it, thanks.

>>> I too like MainStage a lot, but I still use Logic for looping virtual
>>

>> I attended a Logic Studio demo/workshop a few weeks ago, and Erik
>> Metall (great name for a musician, sweedish, know him?) referred to
>> looping in Logic as less usable, so I'm a Bit surprised on your  take
>> here..
>

> I didn't mean that I run the looping in Logic (even though I think a
> couple of Tape Delay plug-ins controlled from a MIDI foot board is a
> nice looper inside Logic, although only permitting a half bar loop
> length). I only use Logic as "the sound module" (for guitar, wind
> instruments and software MIDI driven instruments played by an EWI)  and
> as an arpeggiator and key following chord creator for MIDI  instruments.
> All my looping I do on a second laptop, connected by  ADAT and MIDI,
> that runs the software looper Mobius. My reason for  this dual laptop
> setup is that I have not been able to find a  software looper for OS X
> that can compete with Mobius, that  unfortunately runs only under
> Windows. The looping laptop, with  Mobius, is the sync master and sends
> MIDI clock into Logic 7 on the  Mac. I stick with Logic 7 because Logic
> 8 has dropped MIDI Clock  slaving.

Understood.  Tried running Mobius on XP within Parallels on a McIntel?
I'm not sure how well HW abstraction is handled by Parallels, though I
did see a demo running HW test tools, incl. some graphics test suite..
I'd expect drivers colliding with priority and latency issues, plus how
routing sound between the two OS's si to be done, I don't know..

--
rgds,
van Sinn