Re: RC20XL an anti dron-zone!e

Yes, this is a problem with many loopers, there will always tend to be some sort of click/glitch at the stop/start point.

I have worked out a way to avoid this using the RC20XL.  In the sample memories, I have saved loops of silence of various lengths (eg, 4secs, 8secs, 16secs, 32secs, etc).  If I want a glitch free loop, I will set the silent loop running, then use the record pedal to punch in when I want to record. This way, you can over-run the start/stop point, or stop before, or exactly on it, and there will be no glitch.  The functionality of the RC20XL is similar, in that you can still remove the last layer.  When you erase the whole loop, it still keeps the preset silence length, which is handy.

The problems with this are obvious.  1. You can only use this technique with pre-determined loop lengths, not the most flexible system, 2. When a loop is stopped and re-started, the loop may not start exactly where you want it to (this can be done if you are careful where to begin the silent loop running, although it still gets a bit random)

I guess the same technique could be applied to some other hardware loopers.

Stephen

Ian Popperwell <popperwell@iname.com> wrote:
Blank
Hi,

I know the EDPers' thoughts about the RC20 on the list and do take them, however as a less than full-time looper (I play mainly non-looped stuff live), I like enough about it to have one. I've had my DL4 for years and one thing that I get so irritated about the RC20 is the fact that it is fine at loops that are contained within the boundaries of the loop, however if I want to hold a drone or other notes over the loop point, it doesn't work. You get this horrible glitch (or more a couple of glitches), I play flute, sax & wind synth and I love setting up a low note on the flute with a harmoniser producing an octave below, getting it nice and thick and then playing over. the DL4 is almost glitch-free for this, but the RC20 just can't seem to cope with a note that goes over the loop point. The best way to do this, I find is to have a delay programme (in my Zoom A2.1U or t.c. Nova Delay) with 100% feedback, lots of delay mix and no filtering, the drone will then run beautifully. Anyone else have such irritations with the RC20(XL)?

Ian