Re: computers suck creative energy

Travis Hartnett wrote:
> 10+ years ago, Brian Eno talked about how he was thinking of banning
> computers from his studio work environment, since they invariably
> introduced a bunch of downtime in the form of the engineer saying "Oh,
> wait, that's not right, hold on a minute while I...." and ten minutes
> of mouse twiddling ensued, during which time the musicians lost focus
> and would wander off to the video games in the lounge.  Did analog
> studios have technical problems?  Sure, but he felt that computers had
> introduced an unacceptable increase in the ratio of up versus down
> time.

Well, that was 10 yrs ago; both hardware and software has come a long
way since then, but I get your (and Eno's) drift..

I also wonder how the studio productivity throughput pressure was in
those days compared to now. I mean, using analog and/or individually
programmable digital devices than maight not allow reusable settings,
thus requiring more manual labour.
Of cause, if an engineer really knows the setups and have less glitches,
it all may be faster working this way.

Still, longing for ye olde days won't work much; technology moves on, or
at least gets pushed over our heads ;)

Wonder what Aldoux Huxley would've said about todays music tools, had he
still lived and been a musician..

--
rgds,
van Sinn