Re: Virtual Lo Fi Lazer live album shared - "computers to boost creativity" ;-)

2007/11/29, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>:

Here's what a dictionary says about the word "contemporary":

>> Dating from the same time. Example: "these series of paintings are
>> contemporary with other works in an earlier style.

Ah.. better I prefer cage's "experimental" concept. I should have used this last.

>  so we are interested in aesthetics.

Definitely! I see no conflict about music and philosophy. To me the
act of playing music is the practical application of philosophical
theory. And the cool thing with music is that it works even if you
don't care about the theoretical view.

Strong point here... I like it.

> also, i've attended some a priori "serious" contemporary festivals,
> where a guy hold sustained notes on an EWI, and that's all! he,he...
Ha, ha... funny point. "Serious" is a dangerous word, but I use it as
for what the word actually means. So I regard a festival or a concert
serious when the people behind it have a certain agenda except for
simply putting on a happening and gather as big audience as possible.

Yes. I meant that.

> but then always we come to that words that also have no meaning at
> all "musically"... now my friend and teacher markus would have said
> "could you be more specific?"

My apologizes! I didn't think I would have to define the word
"musically" on this list where mostly musicians hang out ;-)

Believe it or not, but I failed an examination (basic choral practices in primary musical studies) because my interpretation lacked "musicality". That pissed me of a lot ! Since I didn't liked that Brahms pieces (valses) ! Why did they thought I was to do more than what it was written down on that sheets... I singed the right notes with right dynamics and nothing else since it was "primary" studies and we wasn't prepared for more than this ...
Since then I like to ask anybody to explain better the concept and usually we end with really diferent concepts from each one.

What I
mean with "musical" is just that the music brings some sort of
statement,

Wiki-searching..
"statement"=theme
... then "sort of theme".

But you both do music without themes constantly! Which I enjoy so much. Maybe you define them as "sort of themes".

that the movements have well defined directions etc.

This I can't understand.

In
other words: when sounds are ordered in a way that brings a meaning
to it, then it is music.

"meaning to it"... umm .. what represents "it" in this sentence?

If sounds are not ordered, then it is noise.

This, I understand.

Having said all this, there is a need for a little disclaimer.

Chaotic, unordered sounds (noise) can be musical too if presented in
a certain context that invites the listener to experience it as
musical.

Totally makes sense for me.

For example, look to Eno, Cage and like-minded. In this case
the lack of order and lack of statement becomes The Statement. So I
still subscribe to my main idea that A Statement is what makes
something "musical".

This makes more sense even...
You win!
I loooooove you Per!

But anyway, I think it was not fair to
stop my "castrati" career that way she did.
ha,ha,ha,ha....

Salutacions!
Raül.

Greetings from Sweden