Re: inexpensive small true mic preamps

I'd recommend the Electro Harmonix 12ay7 Tube Mic Pre. It's a small mono
full-voltage tube preamp that sounds really wonderful, and you can usually
find it for around $160. I have 2 and I like them slightly less than my
Neve's, which cost about 10x. The only negatives I see in the EH's is that
they are relatively low gain, they are fine with most condensers or
dynamics, but don't have enough gain to really handle ribbon mics. Also,
it doesn't feel like the most solidly built box. But it really sound
wonderful, I like running cheap Chinese small diaphragm condensers through
it to tame their harshness.