Re: inexpensive small true mic preamps

Rick Walker wrote:
> I want to get either a mono or a stereo, tube mic preamplifier
> that has a small footprint and also is a true tube mic pre.
>
> If memory serves me correctly,  there was thread here where
> someone said that the inexpensive tube mic pres, like the Art
> where not true tube pres,  sending only a small amount of the signal
> through the actual tube.

hi Rick

Yep, someone said that, but the reality is that a "true tube" pre means
that the first bit of circuitry that a mic comes to is a special low noise
high gain pentode valve that amplifies the signal up to line level. What
cheaper models (and most of the more expensive ones)do is use an IC for
that first stage and then pass the signal through a cheaper line level
valve stage.

"true tubes" aren't that common though, they're a bit noisier than the
transistor equivalents.
I get the feeling that some devices called "true tube" don't have the
pentode.
In any case, the "real thing" isn't cheap.
Generally adding a tube is a way of marketing a pre-amp where the actual
amplification is done by a cheap circuit.

Good mic pres are expensive :-(
....but they make an awful lot of difference.

I actually think you'd be better off getting a good transistor pre,
(Focusrite stuff is getting cheaper) and then if you need tube sound
get hold of a compressor of EQ that has a valve in the circuit.

...but hopefully some helpful LDer knows a reasonable enough pre with a
valve on board somewhere for a bit of that valve color that you're after.

andy