Re: OT - acoustic pickups, etc

If you are going for an under nut transducer, I would recommend going with
a polycarbonate nut
expecially if you are intending on picking up "ghosting".  Keep in mind a
piezo only works
correctly if the downward pressure is even on the element.  Piezos were
originally discovered when
Oriental acupuncturists found a squared quartz crystal was producing too
high and painful
electrical offcharge.  So they ground the crystals cylindrical...  That is
what I am currently
working on.  I talked to Rick Turner (Alembic)(D-Tar) Seymour Duncan, R.
Neve, etc. etc. and he
told me he thought of this concept years ago when he was sitting on the
toilet reading a popular
science magazine about under sea cable microphones. They trail them from
submarines and the like
to eavesdrop, picking up enemy protocol preparing them for a course of
action!  So there is your
pressure explanation of how a piezo works aka: The Sea and Ocean waters
tremendous pressures per
sq. inch.  Pressure exerted by percussive/succussive forces generates
electricity.  If you ever
want to get a cheap thrill rub a quartz crystal or agate on a sidewalk or
sandpaper in the dark!!!
 Awesome electrical aurora produced.  Hope this information helps... Rick
and Roberto-Venn School
of Luthiery will have all the information you could possibly imagine and
keep you from goin on any
wild goose chases... Daniel T. Albertini
www.alembic.com
--- bill bigrig <billbigrig@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>  Get a peizo transducer from allelectronics.com.
> solder it up and tape it to your headstock. $5 and
> your set.
> Rig
>
> --- Jon Southwood <jsouthwood@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Regarding the headstock pickup, it just occurred to
> > me that maybe some type
> > of under-saddle transducer might work under the nut?
> > That would be less
> > bulky, and perhaps pick up more of the strings'
> > vibrations than a stick-on
> > transducer somewhere on the headstock. Just a
> > thought...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jon
> >
> > On Dec 6, 2007 10:41 PM, Daryl Shawn
> > <highhorse@mhorse.com> wrote:
> >

> > > For the headstock pickup I may just go with a
> > cheap piezo stick-on, I'm
> > > not sure what to do about the cord issue but maybe
> > I'd just attach it as
> > > needed.

> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?