Re: Logelloop multitrack realtime audio looper for MAC OS 10.4 and 10.5

Hi Mech,

Sorry, i was out today...

Le 30 déc. 07 à 13:48, Mech a écrit :

> At 10:55 AM +0100 12/30/07, Philippe ollivier wrote:
>>
>> The 2048 sample lag is necessary with the algorithm we use to pitch
>> the sound.
>> We choose the better sound quality everywhere in logelloop and in
>> this case good quality often says "non realtime".
>>
>> Yes we are working on eliminating this lag, but i can't promise a
>> release date.
>
> I understand.  This is obviously still a very early stage in the
> product, and I certainly appreciate the emphasis on quality.  I was
> merely a bit concerned that this latency might be a permanent thing.
>
> A couple of quick follow-ups: I noticed upon re-reading the
> description that the docs state that, "TIME and PITCH functions
> introduce a latency of 2048 samples...".  But they don't mention
> that the SPEED parameter is subject to this.  Does that mean that
> the lag only affects instances where you are manipulating time and
> pitch independently of each other?

Yes, Pitch is a big calculation to obtain a good sound while speed
change is only related to the player. There is no calculation. So, no
latency needed. I just have to say that our speed change system is
made to obtain the better sound even t very low speed.

When you use a pitch, you need time to calculate. So if only one track
is pitched, it is not synced to other tracks. So, I decided to insert
a delay in the other tracks to maintain the music synchronization. The
problem is when you need to make an overdub if (at least one track is
pitched or streched). It is the reason why i prefer to record my sound
before playing with pitch and strech...

This will change, it is sure, but i don't know when.

> Many of us are used to "tape style" time/pitch-shift by now.  While
> independent control of time and pitch (ala the Repeater) is
> certainly very(!) cool, I think that if the Speed function were
> latency free, it might be possible to get by until the Time and
> Pitch lag is resolved.
>
> I noticed there's not a real Feedback parameter, but I'm a little
> confused with Auto-Fade.  Does Auto-Fade take effect on a per-track
> or per-loop basis?  If on a per-track basis, might it be possible to
> use Auto-Fade as a Feedback function?  Failing that, could you use
> the Delay effect to do true Feedback-enabled looping and still have
> first-loop capability?  Alternately, could a Macro be used to
> gradually lower the volume of each individual track once they're
> closed, somewhat imitating Feedback functionality?

The feedback exist. It is what we call "mixed overdub" You can choose
it in the transport panel or with a macro.
in transport, in the right hand, there is a word "NORMAL". If you
click it one time it turn to "MIXED". Then the overdub is mixed.
Under this word, you can change the percentage of mix just with a
click/slide.

If you click another time on the word "MIXED" it turn to "REPLACE" and
in this case an overdub will replace the sound like for a tape.

Sorry i just understand that it is not explained in the documentation!!!

The autofade affect all the tracks at the same time.
Yes, with the macro you can fade in or out each track separately.

> Is there a way to use two of the "built in" effects simultaneously
> (for instance, Convo or Granulateurre feeding into Delay)?  I'm not
> seeing an obvious way to do that, but I may be missing something.

No, it is not possible for now.
I am also interested in it for my music. So you can be sure i will
implement it as soon as i have the time.

As those FX, called external FX, works like inserted FX, I      need to
find a good solution to make it without an important CPU consumption
and this has to be easy to configure  by the user.

> Any plans for AU compatibility?

Yes, it is planed, but no date for it.

> Also, has anybody yet tried loading in a Bidule Group or Reaktor
> Ensemble to get a larger, more complex effect chain (as opposed to
> only two auxes)?  If so, what kind of latency have they experienced?

No, there is only a few user of Logelloop.
I also plan to implement more than 2 auxes but i don't know when.

> Sorry to "grill" you like this, Philippe.  I wouldn't be firing off
> so many questions if it didn't look like an interesting product,
> though.  :)

You are welcome!
And thanks.
Philippe OLLIVIER.