Live Looping signal side chain - the most simple looping setup

I misread the subject line for that other thread about "simple setup"
and it got me into thinking about side-chaining in live looping. So I
thought I might write something about that since side chain is very
cool and useful for creating subtle variation in loops

I do it a lot in post prod but have not found a simple way to have fun
with side chaining when doing real-time live looping, until recently.
What it means is that you run an audio signal through an effect device
and then you set this effect device to listen to a different audio
signal and imply the dynamics of that one to the one its affecting.

The latest side chain toy I've found is this built-in plug-in of
Loogelloop called Convo. The plug-in reminds me of a DJ mixer but
instead of blending two turntables it applies the rhythm of one track
to the audio level of another track. A nice trick for starting out a
performance is to set up Convo to modulate Track 1 from the rhythm of
Track 2. And so you start looping in "Mix Mode" (overdubbing into the
same loop) to create a thick drone on Track 1. Then you change to
"Normal Mode" (overdub happens on the next track, equaling having
separate mixer faders for each layer of the loop) and record just one
loop length of rhythmic material. What happens then is that the drone
"jams along". You can get back to the non-rhythmic fat drone on track
by assigning an expression pedal to Convo; ie controlling how much
side chain is happening.

A variation of side chain I have been toying with is to let the input
level control some parameter in an effect process. Like for example
opening Overdub in a looper or reducing Feedback in a looping delay
unit. I made lots of such patches in my TC Electronics Fireworks that
I unfortunately had to sell when my sound card broke down, but some of
them I have recreated in Bidule.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen