RE: AW: looper + laptop interaction

Hey Jesse,
just thought id pitch in,i use the EDP at times synced
to an Akai MPC1000, or the EDP as a slave,though if u
are using precanned loops then slaving the EDP is
probably the way you wanna go.
The way i do is:
MPC1000 midi out-FCB1010 footcontroller midi in/out-to
EDP
when you play a loop on the MPC1000(or any sampler)
you can just keep recording loops on the EDP, erase
them,rerecord new ones,add layers etc.by setting the
the midi merge function on the FCB1010 then sync out
on the MPC and sync in on the EDP they will syncronize
nicely to the loops from the sampler,as long as you
dont go to wild on the exotic functions of the EDP
like multiply/replace/reverse etc.(but realign or
retriggering can be ass-savers;-)
I find the other way around tighter,that is the EDP
being the master but then you would have to know the
bpm of the loop in advance and send it from the EDP so
they sync perfectly.But the EDP works great as a
master with a drum machine or preprogramed sequence
patterns.
The new O.S of the MPC1000 has a exciting new
functions like patch phrase and sample chopping which
takes an existing sample and divides it up to create
your own patterns,then you can assign the samples
original bass,snare,hi-hat and all the samples drum
sounds into your pads,that way if you use the EDP as a
master and redefine the loop to be shorter or
longer,or press half speed for ex.the sample will
follow your loops!
anyway this is just my hardware solution,but id love
to try the laptop route as well!
Luis

--- Jesse Thom <jessethevessel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I forgot to mention that I'm on a mac.
>
> I'd actually prefer NOT to use a laptop and just
> keep it hardware based (looper + something that
> holds audio that can be organized / triggered).
>
> I'll have a look at the Roland and Akai products you
> mentioned and see if I can figure out how to sync
> one to a repeater (or what i've got right now - a
> boss RC-50)
>
> Thanks - any more info is welcome.
> :  )
>

> > From: rs@moinlabs.de
> > To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> > Subject: AW: looper + laptop interaction
> > Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:49:40 +0100
> >
> > > I'm looking for the simplest way to have a
> hardware looper sync up with
> > pre-recorded audio on a laptop or other device.
> >
> > You may think about rephrasing your question and
> look for the simplest way
> > to sync a software looper with prerecorded audio
> on a laptop, if you already
> > are positive with the need for a laptop.
> >
> > If you prefer to stay hardware entirely, something
> like a Roland MC909 or
> > Akai MPC may be preferable (and then, depending on
> your feature needs,
> > either take a Repeater (if you need the pitch
> bending) or a Looperlative).
> >
> > If you want to use Ableton Live and use it on an
> XP machine, why not use
> > Mobius as a plugin in Live. A lot of loopers
> (including me) favor that
> > solution.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> >     Rainer