Re: What will become of the Repeater pitch stretching techology, I wonder

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:
> I so wish some hardware looper would incorporate the pitch stretching
>  technology of the Electrix Repeater.

Yeah, me too.... I sold my Repeater four years ago in the strong
belief that someone would succeed in creating a software for real-time
looping and pitch-shifting with time-stretching (which IMO would be
more useful than having the functionality locked into a certain
hardware). Many tried but no one have yet succeeded. And there is a
big market demand for it. Some software loopers with
pitch-shift/time-stretch algorithms that work but still-not-just-right
are Logelloop, Mobius, SooperLooper... well, can't remember more right
now (skipping over AU Looper, since it has other coding errors that
makes it unusable).

And then we have all those DAW developers that offer perfectly working
with pitch-shift/time-stretch algorithms - but only for people who
prefer to program first and then sit back to push the Play button for
playback of the music. Ableton Live, Serato, Celemony Melodyne, Acid,
Apple, Pro Tools... They are all excellent tools for producing
recorded music, but since they are not real-time there's not much in
there for live looping.

Because of the above I have been scrambled into using rate/speed-shift
instead for many years. This means a loop is becoming longer when the
pitch goes down and vice versa (old-school sampling style). So you
also get this fascinating poly rhythm aspect when working with pitch
in live looping. I really like this, it's an endless source for
musical inspiration!

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen