Re: Anybody ever played a tesla coil?

By strange coincidence, we just had a Tesla coil concert Friday here at the University of Illinois for Engineering Open House. I was playing one of the Tesla coils from the Continuum Fingerboard while the other one was being played by a MIDI sequence. There are some videos on YouTube of it:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=tesla+illinois&search_type=

It was a team effort.

Credits:

Steve Ward and Jeff Larson: Tesla coil construction, MIDI interface
Lippold Haken: Continuum Fingerboard invention, design, construction and programming of Tesla interface
Mike Novak: Drums on backing track
Me: Lead Tesla coil, bass coil sequencing, guitar and keyboards on backing track, wrote the music

It was fun despite the extreme cold temperatures. We still had a pretty good crowd.

I originally thought about trying to LOOP a Tesla coil with a microphone & Echoplex, but gave up on that idea in favor of sequencing and backing tracks.

--
Mark Smart
http://cdbaby.com/cd/marksmart