Re: HOW MANY LOOPS DO YOU USE SIMLUTANEOUSLY?(andy)

Rick Walker wrote:

> How many loops do us use simultaneously?
> And why?

Interesting question with a number of sides to it.
here's my individual take it

1) multiple loops versus layering.
  A lot of people seem to feel the need to record different musical layers
onto different loops.
Apart from the possibilities of post processing this also has the
advantage that different musical layers can be muted, then restored as
desired. Also it's possible to get an accurate mix.
(plus, some folks prefer unsynced layers)
With the EDP, there's only one loop heard at a time, so I solve those
"problems" in the following way
a) An accurate mix is achieved simply by playing the layer at the right
volume...just a matter of instrumental technique, ...and practice.
b) muting out layers isn't so simple, it's possible to keep a copy of the
loop before the overdubs were made and return to it later...or use Undo.
(the EDP is not so flexible for this sort of thing)
c)Additional unsynced loops can only be achieved by adding another looping
device, I've been experimenting with putting the old JamMan in the rig.

2) Timbral masking isn't a problem for harmony parts, or if the sounds
don't coincide time-wise,
   so I probably get up to 6 layers fairly regularly, but like Rick I
don't go for the big build up.
   ..and if using feedback to make a continuously evolving loop I'm likely
to drop the feedback to 0% and just have 2 layers.

3) EDP specifics: I generally have MoreLoops = 2. ( which in English means
that there are 2 loops available to play and build up layers, but only one
can be heard at a time). Often I create a basic loop1, then copy it to
loop2 for modification, returning to loop1 every so often to make a kind
of "theme and variations" type effect. I also use 2 contrasting loops
quite a lot, and switch between them, but I find that easier with composed
pieces rather than improv.

andy butler