Re: OT? Laptops on the PC side

Kevin Cheli-Colando wrote:
> Okay, first off, thanks for the previous round of laptop advice.  I
> would love a MacBook Pro.  We'll see how that shakes out, but in the
> meantime, how about recommendations for a PC laptop for use with live
> audio and live video processing (probably not at the same time).
>
> What I'm specifically looking at is whether or not I can get a
> comparable system to the MacBooks that is as stable and useful for audio
> and visual apps for less cash.

For audio, afaik winXP is still being used and Vista is not trusted.
(my only experience of Vista so far is seeing it run really slowly on a
machine with 'only' 1GB of RAM)

...but may be different for visuals.

Sometimes there's problems with particular interfaces on particular
machines, so it's better to copy someone else's working setup if possible.

If you want to use a Firewire audio interface, then not many laptops have
the larger sized firewire socket which can be used to supply power to it.

andy butler