Re: Engineering Live Loopers

I engineered sound for a show over the weekend where the band submixed their vocals (5 vocals) for various reasons of their own. They did not submix well at all and ultimately I had no control over their vocal sound. It really turned out badly and the audience AND band kept saying "more vocals!" and there was little I could do except give increased feedback. It was a nightmare. It is difficult to stop the show and adjust their submix for them :)

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Ian Popperwell <popperwell@iname.com> wrote:
I agree, When I do PA gigs, it surprises me the number of laptop composer/musicians who do not have multiple outs - sending drums, bass, pads, leads, effects and everything to a PA and it is always the same mix no matter what the venue acoustic. I think that to be able to at least seperate the main sound areas for FOH mixing is the best solution.

I've had similar issues with keyboard players that just have a stereo out and yet run bass, pad and lead sounds all running at volumes that I have no control over at the desk - the audience don't know it's not the engineer's fault!

Ian
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: Engineering Live Loopers

As the sound engineer for a medium-sized club, I think I much prefer as many individual outs as possible, just so I can also give them more flexability for their monitor mix.
However, I say that because I get tired of the mundane 3-vocals and a kick mic scenario and like the challenge.
As a looping musician though, I usually only get to send a stereo out.

Clint Allen