Re: Re: Engineering Live Loopers

Byron,

> performances. I would like to extend this setup to use in an ensemble
>format. so....
> What are the ways an engineer would be able to give the solo (eventual
>ensemble)
> live looper percussionist a decent enough stage sound without feedback
>of
> prerecorded loops into new layers of loops without use of in ear
>monitoring?

The quick answer: none. You will always face that problem, even only with
c=
rosstalk from the FOH system. There's a number of ways, though:
    * use inears
    * have your ensemble colleagues use inears
    * have your ensemble colleagues remove their instrument amplifiers
    * have your ensemble colleagues not play any acoustic instruments
    * play very loudly
    * turn the FOH system way down
    * if you still have monitors (didn't I tell you you should get rid of
them?): turn them down
    * tell your ensemble colleagues (who still insist on playing trumpet
or have guitar amp onstage) to play at low levels
    * use extreme closeup miking
    * use aggressive gating
    * use a microphone which is good to reject unwanted sound
    * use baffles
    * use a placement of the FOH system and of you to minimize crosstalk

(This also takes into account the problem of other group members
crosstalking into your loops, which most probably will be a problem).

Some of those work well, others may compromise your mission as an artist.
Some are free, others cost dear money.
I'd pick the "inears", "remove instrument amplifiers", "placement" options
- perhaps also "gating" and "closeup miking" if it doesn't compromise the
sound I'm after.

             Rainer