in-ear till my ears bleed?

Hi folks

I have two mini-mixers that have a seperate headphone out.
I'm very much tempted to buy decent ear-phones and test this setup for
in-ear monitoring.

My question is:
Is working without a limiter complete suicide (for my ears)?

In terms of space & money, it seems that instead of getting a designated
limiter, I might as well buy a cheap wireless in-ear monitor system...

Please let me know if this is reasonable or just crazy.

thanks
Buzap